Dohkhlieh is a traditional pork salad of Meghalaya. Authentically, it is prepared with pig’s head or neck portions and pork brain. It is boiled diced pork and pork brain mixed with finely chopped onions, green chillies, ginger and seasonings. No feast in the Khasi and Jaintia hills of Meghalaya is complete without Dohkhlieh!
- Pork (preferably the neck portions)
- Pork brain (optional, will add a creamy texture to the dish)
- Green chilli
- Salt to taste
- Boil the pork until the flesh becomes completely soft and can easily be chopped. Boil the pork brains as well if you have it in a separate vessel.
- Removed from the heat, drain the water and let it sit for a while to dry out
- Finely chop the meat into small pieces
- Sprinkle chopped onion, ginger and green chilly
- If the boiled pork brain is available, mash it and add to the mix to give the salad a creamy texture.
- Salt should be added to Dohkhlieh according to one's taste.
- Now take a spoon and mix it all together! (It is usually served cold)
- Simple and easy, your Dohkhlieh or pork salad is ready.