15 Mar 0 Comment(s) 184 View(s)
Axone or Akhuni is quite common in the North East and one such is a recipe used by the Naga in Nagala
- 5-6 fresh green chilies or 2-2 dried king chili ( buy here )
- 1 big tomato
- 1″fresh ginger
- A tablespoon of fresh axone paste ( buy here )
Salt to taste
- Chilies: Roast them over the fireplace or stove. Do not forget to punch holes before roasting them
- Tomatoes: Roast the tomato by the fireplace or simply roast them on a flat tawa or grill over the stove. Keep turning to make sure it is cooked well from the inside as well. Once done, peel the tomato and keep it aside.
- Cut the ginger into flat slices so that it can be mashed easily
- Now, use a mortar and pestle to mash all the ingredients to a fine paste.
- Start with the chili and salt. Mash the chili to a fine paste.
- Then add the roasted and peeled tomatoes.
- Now, add the ginger and mash it.
- Add the axone paste at the end and mash & blend it well with the rest of the ingredients; make sure they are all mixed evenly with each other.
Your axone chutney is ready to be served with a hot plate of rice and some smoked Naga pork – with some fresh boiled vegetables on the side. Bon appetite!